Have you ever dreamed of packing up and moving to a new country, but didn’t want to deal with the hassle of a long-term visa application? Well, here is some good news – there are countries that allow you to stay for up to 45 days on just a visitor visa!This gives you over a month to explore and experience what it would be like to live there. And if you fall in love with the place, many of these countries offer relatively easy paths to longer-term residency or even full citizenship.So where can you go?
Here is a roundup of some of the top countries to consider for short-term relocation on a tourist visa.
Mexico has long been a favorite destination for American and Canadian snowbirds looking to escape the winter. But Mexico offers much more than a warm climate – it boasts vibrant culture, cuisine, and an affordable cost of living.Most nationalities can enter Mexico without a visa and stay for up to 180 days.
For Americans and Canadians, the limit is even higher at 6 months. During this time you’re free to rent an apartment, open a local bank account, get a phone plan, and generally set up an extended temporary life there. If you fall in love with Mexico, you can apply to extend your stay or pursue temporary or permanent resident status.Popular spots to consider include:
- Mexico City – The bustling high-altitude capital with top museums and restaurants.
- Oaxaca – A laidback colonial city with indigenous influences.
- San Miguel de Allende – A charming, artsy hill town popular with expats.
- Playa del Carmen – A beach resort city and hub for exploring the Riviera Maya.
Peaceful Costa Rica has been attracting relocators and digital nomads for years with its “Pura Vida” (pure life) vibe. Spend your days surfing tropical beaches, hiking misty cloud forests, or simply rocking in a hammock while listening to howler monkeys.
Visitors from many developed countries can enter without a visa for up to 90 days. And thanks to an easy path to temporary and permanent residency, over 100,000 expats now call Costa Rica home.Great spots to relocate for 45 days or more include:
- San Jose – The capital and transportation hub. Offers cultural attractions and nightlife.
- Tamarindo – A popular surf town with an international community.
- La Fortuna – Gateway for exploring Arenal Volcano and hot springs.
- Manuel Antonio – Boasts beaches, wildlife, and laidback vibes.
Panama offers much of the same tropical appeal as Costa Rica, with the added bonus that the US dollar is its official currency. Visitors can stay up to 180 days without a visa, depending on nationality. And Panama has rolled out incentive programs to attract foreign retirees, investors, and entrepreneurs.Intriguing spots to explore during your 45+ days in Panama include:
- Panama City – This cosmopolitan capital has a historic Casco Viejo and ultra-modern skyscrapers.
- Boquete – A temperate mountain town surrounded by coffee farms and lush forests. Popular with expats.
- Bocas del Toro – An archipelago of islands offering a funky Caribbean vibe.
- Las Lajas – A long stretch of beaches on the Pacific coast.
With its turquoise Adriatic waters and charming coastal villages, Croatia has become one of Europe’s trendiest vacation spots.
Many travelers fall so hard for Croatia that they look into staying long-term. Citizens of countries like the USA, UK and Canada can visit for up to 90 days without a visa. Long-stay temporary residence is also possible if you can show steady income.Great places to soak up Croatia’s beauty during an extended 45+ day visit include:
- Dubrovnik – The famous walled city on the Dalmatian Coast.
- Split – A bustling port city with Roman ruins and nightlife.
- Hvar – A glamorous island attracting the rich and famous.
- Istria – Croatia’s northern peninsula featuring hilltop villages and Italian influences.
Georgia is an up-and-coming destination at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. Its diverse landscapes range from the Caucasus Mountains to the Black Sea coastline. The country offers a unique blend of European and Persian influences seen in its food, wine, and hospitable culture.
Citizens from over 90 countries can visit Georgia visa-free for 360 days. Longer residency is also possible through investment, entrepreneurship, retirement, or other paths.Don’t miss these top spots during an extended 45+ day stay:
- Tbilisi – Georgia’s cosmopolitan capital filled with hip cafes and wine bars.
- Batumi – A vibrant beach resort town with contemporary architecture.
- Kazbegi – A mountain town surrounded by epic scenery and hiking trails.
- Kakheti – The wine region dotted with monasteries and hilltop towns.
Where to Next?
As you can see, you have options when it comes to finding countries where you can comfortably relocate for 45 days or more on just a tourist visa. This makes an extended “test run” possible before committing to a longer international move.Each country offers its own unique blend of culture, cuisine, scenery and opportunities. So think about which attractions and amenities matter most to you.
Do you want to immerse yourself in history and architecture? Seek out adventure? Or simply relax at the beach? Define your priorities first, then pick the country that best fits the lifestyle you’re seeking.No matter where you choose, this is an opportunity to challenge yourself, shake up your routine, and gain worldly experience.
You may end up falling head over heels for your temporary new home. And if family, work or other obligations call you back, at least you’ll return with exciting stories that last a lifetime. So don’t overthink it – book that flight and take the leap! Your global adventure awaits…