McGill University is one of Canada’s best-known institutions of higher learning and one of the leading universities in the world. International students from more than 150 countries make up nearly 30% of McGill’s student body ‒ the highest proportion of any Canadian research university.
McGill University is a globally ranked university in Quebec, Canada, with a QS World University ranking of 27 in the year 2022. It is a public sector university that hosts international students from 150 nations for various programs. The university offers approximately 400 programs. It has the highest percentage of Ph.D. students than any other Canadian university.
The average tuition fee at McGill university is 21,500 CAD – 99,500 CAD (INR 1271590 – 5884804). McGill University is the second-ranked university in Canada, after the University of Toronto. The student-faculty ratio is 7, which makes it student-centric. McGill holds its renowned reputation with its globally ranked 50 research centres and a wide network of 250,000 alumni around the globe. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in humanities, commerce, and sciences.
McGill is a public university, founded in 1821.
A Tradition of Success
McGill is recognized around the world for the excellence of its teaching and research programs. Ernest Rutherford‘s Nobel Prize-winning research on the nature of radioactivity was conducted at McGill, part of a long tradition of innovation on our campuses that includes the invention of the artificial blood cell and Plexiglas. Today our professors are building the new field of epigenetics, developing alternative energy sources from crop plants and driving human achievement in every field imaginable.
The Best and Brightest
In addition to a stellar faculty, McGill is known for attracting the brightest students from across Canada, the United States, and around the world. McGill students have the highest average entering grades in Canada, and our commitment to fostering the very best has helped our students win more national and international awards on average than their peers at any other Canadian university. The prestigious Rhodes Scholarship has gone to a nation-leading 145 McGill students.
History of McGill University
McGill University is the oldest university in Canada. It was formed from the legacy of Scottish merchant James McGill, whose name the university now bears. It is known to have established the first faculty of medicine in Canada in 1829. It is recognized as a study destination for notable faculties, 12 Nobel laureates, national leaders, athletes, and scientists throughout the decades. There are groundbreaking inventions, Nobel Prizes, and lasting contributions to human endeavours from McGill University. One of the largest History departments in Canada is situated in McGill University.
Education at McGill University
McGill University is world-famous for offering prestigious on-campus undergraduate, graduate, doctoral programs with local and international workshops and internships. Academic Standing is based on Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) but may also be affected by their Term Grade Point Average (TGPA). A Dean heads each faculty at McGill. Faculties are divided into departments and schools. Some of the popular programs are MSc in Computer Science, BSc in Computer Science, MBA, Computer engineering, BBA, MSc in Information Studies, Law, social work, MEng in Electrical Engineering, Architecture, Dentistry, Management, and Medicine and Health.
McGill University acceptance rate is 38% as of 2021. For Fall 2021 admissions, a total of 44534 applied to undergraduate courses of which 16955 received an offer to study.
McGill University inspires future leaders and empowers the minds of the young generation. It is a community of excellence and learners where passionate, innovative, and open minds collaborate.
After completing the course at McGill University, the career opportunities are vast and splendid. Students get placed with global brands. Canada’s top employers globally hire students from McGill University.
Top McGill University Graduates & Alumni get an average salary of INR 82,78,163 to 117,65,990 INR annually. Students from McGill University find huge career opportunities in areas of computer science, medicine, management, law, architecture, engineering, bachelor’s in science, information technology, and research.
Famous alumni of McGill University
Notable alumni of McGill University are spread across 180 countries. They are ranked world leaders, Nobel laureates, public service, and astronauts. McGill’s 275,000 living alumni are using their education and experiences to make a difference in the world. They are human lives better through groundbreaking inventions and discoveries. Here are the notable top alumni of McGill University:
- William Shatner (Actor)
- Justin Trudeau (Prime Minister of Canada)
- Dr. Brenda Milner (Neuropsychologist)
- Leonard Cohen (Singer-songwriter)
- Dr. Joanne Liu (International President of Doctors Without Borders)
- Willard Boyle (Physicist)
- Val Fitch (nuclear physicist)
- David Hubel (neurophysiologist)
- Rudolph Marcus (Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry)
- Ralph Steinman (Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine)
- Jack W. Szostak (Nobel Prize laureate)
- Bernard Belleau (Molecular pharmacologist)
- Tim Bliss (Neuroscientist)
- Charles R. Drew (Surgeon)
- Peyush Bansal (Founder and CEO of Lenskart)
McGill university address
James Administration Building
845 Sherbrooke Street West
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Study Abroad & Field Studies
Study abroad and field studies offers students a chance to put theory into practice through local, regional, and international field study semesters, exchanges, internships, and individual courses. McGill’s study abroad opportunities provide practical experience and a chance to integrate and apply knowledge gained in the classroom. In many cases, field courses can be counted towards major program requirements.
Opportunities for Field Study and Study Abroad
Besides the many academic resources McGill offers on campus, there are also unparalleled opportunities to enrich your educational experience through exchange programs, internships, field study programs, and McGill courses taught off-campus and abroad. The following sections provide information regarding opportunities in the following categories:
- Field Study Semesters and Off-Campus Courses – participate in programs and courses offered by McGill University in local, regional, and international settings as a complement to classroom learning.
- Internships and Co-op Programs – participate in partnerships offered through McGill to gain valuable on-the-job knowledge in your field.
- Exchange Programs – study at one of McGill’s partner universities while earning credit at McGill, and paying McGill tuition.
- Independent Study Away – Independently study away at another university while earning credit at McGill. Tuition is paid directly to the host university.
Funding opportunities for going abroad
Awards and financial assistance are available to students to help with the cost of going abroad. Further information, as well as application deadlines and eligibility, can be found in the following sections and on the McGill Abroad website.
Rankings of McGill University
- McGill University holds the 27th rank according to the QS World University ranking in the year 2022.
- It holds 2nd rank in Canada after the University of Toronto.
- Quality of education rank is 27th in the world.
- Research performance rank is 41st globally.
Top offered courses (with per year fee in INR)
McGill University is home to 400+ programs. Earning a degree from McGill University holds global value and prestige. Here are some of the most popular courses and programs offered by McGill University:
- Master of Surgery: 10.5-15.5 Lakh
- MBA PGDM: 36.8 Lakh
- Bachelor in Computer Science: 12 Lakh to 28.7 Lakh
- Bachelor in Engineering: 11-21 lakh
- BBA: 12-30.7 Lakh
- MBBS: 28.84 Lakh
- Master in Architecture: 10- 15.5 Lakh
- MSc in Computer Science: 15.05 Lakh
- Master of Management in Finance: 32.18 lakh
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering: 15.5 Lakh
- MSc in Civil Engineering: 15.05 Lakh
- Doctor of Dental Medicine: 38.55 Lakh
- M.Eng in Electrical Engineering: 10.51 Lakh
- Bachelor of Arts and Economics: 8.9 Lakh
McGill University is a top-ranked university with high competition. The admission criteria are completely based on academics and the entrance examination. There are a few compulsory entrance examinations required and accepted by McGill University for admission:
- English language proficiency test, IELTS is accepted in McGill university. The minimum IELTS score requirement is 6.5. Students need to score a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS to apply to McGill University. The mode of communication and study in English, therefore, is important to test English language proficiency.
- TOEFL is an accepted English language proficiency test at McGill University. The minimum score requirement for TOEFL ( iBT) is 85.
- GMAT or Graduate Management Admissions Test is accepted for graduate programs and degrees. The minimum score requirement is 670. GMAT scores help students get admission and be eligible for the scholarship.
- English language proficiency test scores are essential admission requirements. McGill University accepts IELTS and TOEFL scores.
- GMAT scores are compulsory for applying to graduate degrees and programs.
- A bachelor’s degree or anything equivalent or recognized by McGill University. It should be a degree related or close to the course selected for the study. If the education credentials are obtained from educational institutions outside Canada, they will be assessed according to the McGill University degree.
- Average (CGPA) is 3.0 out of a possible 4.0, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 out of 4.0 in the last two years of full-time studies
- Students need to prove their financial health with proper bank statements and funding sources to manage education and living costs for the first year of study.
- Statement of purpose is an official document where the student states the purpose of selecting McGill University, a particular course, and career plans.
- Letter of recommendations is important from last Education faculties or employers.
- A valid passport
- All academic records
- Passport size photograph
- Application fee
Available scholarship in McGill University
McGill considers huge funding options for students that are away from home. The international students have ample scope to explore the top scholarship programs. The scholarships are committed to offering funding solutions to qualified students from all parts of the world. These scholarships support students from weak economic backgrounds to achieve their goals to enter and complete academic programs at the university. The university offers a One-year scholarship and a Major scholarship.
- One-year Scholarships, valued at $3,000 (non-renewable)
- Major Scholarships, valued between $3,000 and $12,000, are renewable annually for up to 3 or 4 years provided criteria for renewal are met.
Placement in McGill University
McGill University has a full-fledged placement cell and body to regulate the placements and internships for the students. McGill has a proficient placement cell that prospers to place 100% of students in the top brands. This is how the placement is processed.
- Students need to register for the course that they are studying under the placement cell
- The placement office sends the placement form link to all the eligible students
- Students get one week to go through the internship or job details and fill out the application form
- Once the form is closed, students cannot apply for the particular placement offer anymore.
- The placement coordinators process the entire placement program
- A placement or job interview is held at McGill University.
- Students are always notified to prepare themselves for the placement drive 2 weeks before.
Access Programs offered at McGill University via https://www.mcgill.ca/study/2021-2022/faculties/nursing/undergraduate/programs
Checkout their BSC in Nursing Program viaRead More