Another important process of any immigration journey, especially for immigrant visa application is the police background check or Police clearance certificate. We are going to outline the steps involved in obtaining a Police clearance Certificate in Ghana.
Types of Police Clearance
According to the criminal data Services Bureau [CDSB] of the Ghana Police service, the department responsible for the issuance of the clearance, there are three(3) categories of clearance as stated on the GPS website as follows:
- Nominal Vetting (Non-Resident)
- Ordinary Vetting (Resident)
- Employment Vetting (Fingerprint request on CID Form 59.)
Requirements for residents (Living in Ghana)
- Travelers Passport
- Official Payment of 100gh (as of the time of writing this article)
- a completed application form (fingerprint check) will be given to you at the CID HQ after making the payment
- Two copies of a red background Passport Photograph
Non-residents (if you lived in Ghana for 3 months or more, and no longer live in Ghana)
- a completed application form (nominal vetting)
- 2 passport-size photographs with a white background (if you apply through a representative, you only need 1 photo)
- the data page of your passport
- your parents’ full names
- your complete current address and telephone number
- the name of the last school you attended
- your fingerprints are requested, to be taken by a competent police officer or security authority
- the applicable fees
What is a Police Clearance or Police Certificate?
According to Wikipedia, A police certificate is an official document issued as a result of a background check by the police or government agency of a country to enumerate any criminal records that the applicant may have. Criminal records may include arrest, conviction, and possibly criminal proceedings.
Why acquire a police certificate or clearance?
Police clearance is issued to all Ghanaians upon request, i.e. those living at home (residents) or abroad (non-residents). Police clearance is also issued to foreigners who have stayed in the country for 3 months and above.
Who issues police clearance certificates in Ghana?
The Criminal data Services Bureau [CDSB] is one of the specialized units at the CID Headquarters of the Ghana Police Service and is mandated to issue police clearance certificates in Ghana. It is made up of the Fingerprint Bureau, Singles Fingerprint and the Criminal Records Office.
How do i get directions to the Ghana Police Service CID HQ?
Mostly i tell people who do not leave in Accra to alight or take trotro and alight at Ako Adjei overhead/interchange, due to traffic policies, you cannot alight on or under the overpass unless the nearest bus stop, look for the UDS Accra campus and take the lane to the UDS Accra campus on the OSU road, The CID headquarters is located just opposite or adjacent the UDS campus, Currently, the Main gate is under maintenance hence will be directed to the gate opposite the UDS Accra Campus.
Ask the Narcotics Control department, It is located behind the Main CID building.
Climb up to the first floor and enter the common room.
NOTE: Back pads are not accepted in the yard due to increased security concerns, hence you will be asked to drop them at the gate.
How do i apply for Police clearance as a resident in Ghana?
At the gate of the Police CID Headquarters, You might be questioned on the purpose of your visit and will be guided on what to do.
- Put your official fee of 100gh (for Ordinary Vetting (Resident)) and 1,200gh(for Nominal Vetting (Non-Resident)) into your traveler’s passport and place it on the table for receipts issuance.
- After payment, you will be given a form to complete that includes your biodata, school attended with the date of commencement, and date of completion, Passport number, date of birth, place and region of birth, name of parents, etc.
- After the above, you will be required to fill out another form to write your name and return it for biometric capturing using an ink pad, after your fingerprint has been captured and thumb printed on the biometric verification form, you will have to submit your form to an officer in charge who will give your date for collection.
- Usually, you might need the certificate before the date issued to you, hence the need to privately speak to any officer to help speed up your process which comes at a fee, usually 200-300gh extra for a third-day issuance.
How do i apply for Police clearance outside Ghana?
Non-residents (if you lived in Ghana for 3 months or more, and no longer live in Ghana) type of the clearance ceritificate is issued to people who have resided in Ghana but presently in a foreign country and need a police report, you can register and submit your application online on the Ghana Police e-Services website or you can appoint a representative (preferably a relative or friend) to apply at the CID Headquarters in Accra on your behalf according to the Ghana high commissions in Canada website.
Your representative is made to fill CID FORM 196 (NOMINAL VETTING ON BEHALF OF APPLICANT NOT RESIDENT IN GHANA). Information required in this regard includes basic personal details, passport details, two passport-size photographs and brief information on your representative. Please refer to the guidelines for completing the downloadable vetting form.
Applicants are expected to pay an official fee as indicated on the Ghana Police e-Services website.
In this case, your fingerprints cannot be taken but other details provided are enough for the police to furnish you with the needed report. The Police clearance certificate is usually obtainable within 10 working days.
Contact of the CID headquarters of the Ghana Police Service
Contact: +233 302 773906
Contact: +233 302 787373
Email: [email protected]
Where is the CID headquarters located?
We hope the above article has helped many travelers both at home and abroad in applying for their Police Clearance certificate in Ghana. There are a lot of information available on various Embassy websites which includes;
What is Criminal Data Service Bureau – CDSB?
The Criminal data Services Bureau [CDSB] is one of the specialized units at the CID Headquarters. It is made up of the Fingerprint Bureau, Singles Fingerprint and the Criminal Records Office.
How much does it cost to get a Police clearance certificate in Ghana?
According to the Ghana Police Service CID, the price of the Police Clearance certificate in Ghana ranges from 100gh-1200gh depending on the category of certificate. Full pricing is available on Ghana Police Website via https://police.gov.gh/en/index.php/paid-police-services/